Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 1.16.39 PM.png

Parish Beginnings

In 1952, Cardinal O’Boyle established a parish in the area now known as Hillcrest Heights, adjoining a neighborhood in Washington long known as Hillcrest. The new parish territory, in Prince George’s County was to serve the spiritual needs of the existing area, which also included an increasing population of African‐Americans residing in the nearby District of Columbia. Many families moved only short distances from neighboring parishes in Washington. The formal establishment of Holy Family parish took place November 16, 1952. 

School and Sisters

The quiet suburb of single‐family homes and few subdivisions seemed to change daily, as vacant fields yielded to excavation and construction crews. After many fundraisers, raffles, and sacrifices made by those in the community, September of 1957 saw Holy Family Parish take its vision of opening its own elementary school move from mere concept art, and architects renditions of the building, to actual walls and classrooms made of concrete and mortar. At its inception, The Holy Family School opened with 200 children in the first and second grades. The teachers assigned with the enormous responsibility of educating these children were the Sisters of St. Joseph. Mother Regina Perpetua was selected to lead this cadre of nuns and educators as the school’s first principal..

 
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 10.07.47 AM.png

Today

Our campus is nestled on more than 11 acres in Hillcrest Heights, Maryland, on a hill overlooking Washington, DC in southern Prince George's County. We are located between Washington, DC, Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, Suitland and Marlow Heights. We are a short drive from Joint Base Andrews and Joint Base Bolling. Our students come the Temple Hills, Fort Washington, Suitland, Clinton, Oxon Hill Accokeek, Brandywine, & Upper Marlboro

Supporting Parishes

In August 2016, Holy Family Parish entered into a regionalization agreement with six local Catholic parishes: Saint Ignatius Oxon Hill, Saint Luke, Our Lady Queen of Peace, Church of the Incarnation, Our Lady of Perpetual Help & Saint Teresa of Avila. These parish communities offer support by way of prayers and funding.